Monday, October 5, 2009

Testing Encoding Speed vs. Quality Setting in Episode


As if Telestream's Episode wasn't already fast enough, there's a way to make you encoding jobs go even faster. Here's some information from a quick test I did on Encoding Speed vs. Quality Setting in Episode.

Here's the source file that I used for encoding:

Video Format: QuickTime

Frame Size: 640 x 480

Codec: DV

FPS: 30

Audio: 44.100 kHz

16 bit Stereo

Duration: 30 seconds

I used the default H.264_Medium compression setting in Episode Pro which uses a 2-pass VBR compression method. For the first encode with the Encoding Speed vs. Quality setting set to 90 my video took 40 seconds to encode. On my second encode I adjusted the same compression setting and switched the Encoding Speed vs. Quality setting to 10. The video took 27 seconds to compress. Now when comparing the quality of both of my output files the video encoded using a quality setting of 10 still looked really good in terms of quality. Most would never notice the difference in quality. This is good news for those that need to compress files fast with Episode but don't won't to loose quality.